2011 Scholarship Honorees April 11, 2011
Thank you to the 34 students from 12 schools who submitted their portfolios for the Larsen and AIGA Minnesota Scholarships, and to the 4 students who applied for the Design Camp Scholarship. Regards to the applicants! By taking part in this process, numerous applicants have demonstrated the intelligence and initiative it takes to be recognized for design excellence.
We were fortunate to have five respected leaders from the Twin Cities design community judge applicants’ work. Special thanks to our judges:
- Tim Larsen, president of Larsen Design
- Chuck Hermes, Chief Experience Officer (CXO) at Clockwork Active Media Systems
- Brad Surcey, Design Director and Partner at Zeus Jones
- Kelly Munson, Design Director at mono
- Brent Stickels, Co-Founder and Principal at YYES (Design Camp Scholarship judge)
2011 AIGA Minnesota and Larsen Scholarships
This year, the judges struggled to choose only the best two portfolios for the AIGA Minnesota and Larsen awards. Four books were in strong contention to the very end.
- Stephan Peters, of the College of Visual Arts, was awarded the $1,500 AIGA Minnesota Scholarship.
- Kate Carlson, of the University of Minnesota, was awarded the $1,000 Larsen Scholarship.
We would also like to acknowledge the two other excellent student applicants who made it to the final table:
- Derek Huber, of the University of Wisconsin–Stout, was awarded an honorable mention.
- Brandon Alvarado, of Iowa State University, was awarded an honorable mention.
|Photos by Phong Tran|
2011 Design Camp Scholarship
The field of entrants for this year’s $700 Design Camp poster competition was too narrow to be adequately judged and the chapter elected to withhold the 2011 Design Camp scholarship. AIGA Minnesota may choose to award two Design Camp scholarships for 2012.
Congratulations to all of this year’s 2011 scholarship honorees!